Reformed Lawyer

Stories From a Former Lawyer/ Future Teacher/ Current Substitute

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

What to do?

I subbed for a resource room teacher today. She does mostly 5th grade, but does three 2d graders for reading. I had some interesting experiences. First, not that I want to be, but I have assured myself that I CANNOT be a young elementary school teacher. Not because I can't handle them (who knows if I can), but because I find them so darned cute. I find it hard to be "tough" on them when they aren't paying attention when they are smiling up at you with these adorable little faces. The same thing happened when I subbed first grade & subbed for a 2d grade paraeducator. I am obviously a push-over for a sweet smiling little face. This is why I want to teach middle school. Sweet little faces have been replaced with raging hormones and attitude problems.

My second interesting experience was a frustrating one. I have only subbed a grand total of 6 times, but I have never really experienced an openly defiant student (ODS). I had ODS in the morning, and he was an angel. He told me that it was "nice to have [me] there." He was very cooperative during reading and did quite well. I was back with him during math. Another student who was also part of my group could not log on to his computer. ODS took it upon himself to help the other student. The other student has a lot of learning problems, and is very slow. ODS, on the other hand, is not as slow. He has trouble with reading, but he is above the others in his group-level. The other student needed to get his password from another room, and ODS felt like he could continue to play around on the other student's computer. I told him to go back to his desk and start his work. He did not. I told him again and again. Finally, he got up, while muttering "But there's no way I am going to do my math problems." I didn't know what to do. I tried to get him to start a math practice test, but he refused. Short of standing over him and guiding his hand over the mouse (and guiding his brain to think!) I could not get him to work. Finally, I had to go help other students. ODS didn't finish one practice test. Everyone else in the room finished at least one (even the student who was quite slow finished an entire test). I felt awful. I felt as if I was ignoring ODS, but I couldn't ignore the other students. I feel as if ODS might get "ignored" in this way a lot because he refuses to work, and this might be one reason why he is behind. It was like I wanted to help, but didn't have the time. I would hate to think no one had the time for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home