Reformed Lawyer

Stories From a Former Lawyer/ Future Teacher/ Current Substitute

Friday, April 01, 2005

A Pleasant Surprise

I lost my wallet last night. After my class, I went out to a bar. I only had my bookbag with me, not a purse, so I just carried my wallet in. Well, way too many drinks later, I caught a ride home with a friend (leaving my car on the street - I figure a parking ticket is much easier to deal with than an arrest for drunk driving - I am vigilant about not driving drunk). I got inside and realized I did not have my wallet. I was sure I had it when I left the bar, so I figured I must have left it in the car. This morning I sent him an email, hoping to hear back from him. Just to cover my bases, I called the bar, but they had not found a wallet. I hadn't heard from the friend, and I was getting a little panicky.

Then, mid-afternoon my doorbell rings. I almost never answer my door. Nine times out of ten it is someone selling something, or someone wanting me to sign a petition, or someone wanting to rake my leaves/shovel. But for some reason I went to the door. I saw two boys at the door - probably about 10 or 11 years old. Inwardly I groaned. I figured they were selling something (of course, my saving grace would be that I couldn't buy anything since I had no money or credit cards!). I opened my door and the first one says, "Are you __________?" I said yes, and told them my whole name. The other boy pulled my wallet out of his pocket and said he found it ON THE SIDEWALK!!! How stupid am I? And how did no one else pick it up? And how lucky am I that these two boys were honest enough to ring my door and give me back my wallet? I almost cried. There are times when I hate where I live because it lacks the honest, trusting, caring character of the place where I grew up. People around me tend to be more hardened, and as a result I have begun to expect less out of them. And then these two boys ring my bell and return my wallet with all cash intact. I promptly gave them all the cash I had in it (which unfortunately was only $12 - I really wish I had had a $20). I also thanked them a million times and told them they made my day. They really did. They also restored (a little) of my faith in people (or at least kids).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home