Reformed Lawyer

Stories From a Former Lawyer/ Future Teacher/ Current Substitute

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Why Subbing is So Hard

Poor me. Let me bitch for a little while.

Subbing is actually a really hard job. Not that the work is that hard, but the environment is tough.

First, the people are quite nice (the other teachers, secretaries, etc.), but I don't know any of them. If I get stuck, I don't know where to go for help. Some teachers ignore me, others are great. I know the teachers don't have any reason to reach out to a sub, so I certainly don't fault the ones who ignore me, but I much prefer a job where I have friends! This won't really be a problem when I am a "real" teacher, but right now, subbing is a pretty lonely job.

Second, every day is like starting a new job. A new job where there is NO orientation. I am thrown into a classroom with a bunch of kids I don't know, with no clue what type of classroom management system is in place, and hope the notes left by the teacher about what to do all day make sense. It is pretty unsettling. On the bright side, if I am having a terrible time with it, I know it is only for one day (or, if in middle school, one hour)! Again, this problem will go away when I have my own class (well, I'll be with the same kids, and have my own management system, etc. - I don't really know about orientation and that sort of thing).

Third, substitutes really do get no respect (maybe I should be the next Rodney Dangerfield). The kids don't respect us. Some actually try to make our lives miserable. There are a few who are really great, but most, not so much. They try to get away with everything. They constantly stretch the truth about what they are allowed to do, or what the rules are. And since we don't really know the rules, to some (small) extent the lack of respect is warranted. We can't garner the respect if we don't know the rules and procedures.

Fourth, we rarely know when we are going to work. I have to be prepared to get up every morning at 6:30 am, but only end up working about 2 days a week. I am not a morning person, so this does not really please me!

Finally (this one is less to do with the environment) - the pay is crappy. Really crappy. We are glorified babysitters, and get paid about $10 an hour for our services (with no benefits).

My displeasure with my current job does make me look forward to when I have my own classroom, and can eliminate some of these problems. Right now, though, I am not exactly the happiest camper in the world. But it is good experience - so I will keep on slugging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home