Reformed Lawyer

Stories From a Former Lawyer/ Future Teacher/ Current Substitute

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I don't know how they do it...

I haven't posted in a while. The reason - I have been subbing a lot more, and started a new semester of classes. I don't know how real teachers are able to keep up with their blogs. I know most don't have 4 nights of classes a week, but I know quite a few are taking graduate classes, and they also have grading, planning, etc. Impressive.

I did have an interesting experience 2 weeks ago, though. I subbed for the same teacher 2 days in a row (at the good middle school). He was out on a field trip, and so were many of the students. The first of class I had about 2/3 of the students, and the 2nd day I had the other 1/3. I got to watch the same movie 8 times (fun, fun!). Well, one student had not turned in his permission slip on time, so he was not able to go on the trip. So I had him both days. He was an interesting kid. When I went on the first day, the teacher was still around, so I was talking to him, and the kid walks in. He complains to the teacher about how he can't go on the field trip, and he and the teacher chat a bit. The teacher tells me that the boy likes to stop by as many times as possible during the day (often while he is supposed to be in other classes). I remark that the boy must really like the teacher, etc., and think nothing more of it.

Well, he drops by before my next class an says hi. Then he comes to his class, and talks a little to me at the end of the class (the class has free time after the movie). He stays a little after his class (& into the next - I had a planning period) to talk to me, until I sent him on his way.

The next day, more of the same, just more of it. Before class, the boy stops by to complain about a student (& another sub) to me. Then he drops in during my first planning period to talk about his hobbies. I shuttle him off to class after a couple of minutes. He stops by again during his (& my lunch) - I chat a little with him and then tell him I am going to go eat. Then I have him class & he is very well behaved. After the movie is over, and the class has about 10 minutes of free time, he and his friend come up to my desk and talk to me for the rest of the time. Then during my next planning period he comes in again! He claims he has no where to be. I finally get him to admit he should be in the library, and tell him to go back. He shows up 5 minutes later to chat again. I briefly talk to him, and then tell him he needs to go to the library. He does, and I don't see him anymore.

I can't quite figure the kid out. Is he lonely? Is he looking for a friend? For help? He was telling me some weird stories (I believe he was exagerating a bit). He also told me a few things that prompted me to tell him he shouldn't do those things, or that they were dangerous, or illegal. I actually found myself explaining to him that if the cops are after you, you should not run (it was nothing really serious that he had done - he was in a non-street legal vehicle on a residential road- I told him he really shouldn't do that). He also told me that he sees the school social worker and that he and his parents had a meeting with him next week. It was a very weird situation, and made me feel vaguely uncomfortable because I did not know what to do with the kid. I might have him again tomorrow or Thursday, so we'll see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home